Open Access Journal Publishing 2018-2022
Attention: There is an updated edition available for this report.
In today’s global market, it’s more important than ever to understand the changing dynamics of scholarly and professional publishing. Rely on Simba Information’s Open Access Journal Publishing 2018-2022 to build your growth plan for this year and beyond.
This report explains the origins of the open access movement, gives a timeline for its development, but most importantly, Simba Information quantifies open access’ position as a fast growing subsegment of scholarly journal publishing. Simba used the information it gathered through primary and secondary research to develop a financial outlook for open access journal publishing including leading competitors’ performance through 2018 and market projections through 2022. This research was conducted in conjunction with a larger study of the overall market for scholarly and professional publishing.
Open Access Journal Publishing 2018-2022 contains separate chapters covering the market, key competitors, and issues and forecast that include:
- Simba’s exclusive analysis of market size and structure
- Revenue and market share rankings of 10 leading global publishers
- Title and article growth metrics
- A breakdown of players in the open access ecosystem including public and private research funders.
- A breakdown open access publishing in key geographic regions: North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of World
- A discussion of the market for non-English-language open access publishing
- Analysis of mergers and acquisitions
- Simba’s exclusive market projections to 2022 and more
Examples of some of the issues discussed include:
- The competition among open access megajournals
- Examination of green, gold, hybrid and membership models
- Open access, peer review and questions of quality and impact
- The impact of piracy on the transition to OA
- Traditional publishers’ strategies and growing market share
- OA’s impact on “big deal” subscription model
- Rise of predatory publishers
- The role of OA mandates in this evolution
Simba has a knowledge base from more than 20 years worth of perspective on these markets. This is not a static industry. It’s one that’s affected by rapid changes in technology, the economy, mergers, partnerships and public policy and library budgets. Simba’s experienced analysts and daily on the ball coverage is the bedrock for these reports.