State of College Course Materials 2017-2018
Attention: There is an updated edition available for this report.
The College Course Materials Market Trends & Forecast annual reports from Simba Information provide an overview of the changing market for instructional resources in higher education in the U.S.
This new edition continues that tradition in two parts. The first part, State of College Course Materials 2017—2018, is now available and focuses on two main areas: the current market landscape and the competitive environment for publishers and distributors of instructional resources for college programs.
In State of College Course Materials 2017—2018, Simba Information examines the changing dynamics of the higher education market that impact the industry and how the industry is responding, focusing on the time period of 2017 and the first half of 2018.
Topics covered in this report include:
- Student enrollment by institutional type, 2016
- Continued decline of the for-profit career-college market segment and initial steps the industry is taking toward a revival
- Growth in appeal of distance learning for college students
- State fiscal support for higher education in fiscal 2018 and how state support has continued to be tepid
- Solidification of federal student aid and expanding access through fiscal 2019
- Course materials sales by segments (all new course materials, print textbooks, etextbooks and digital media, used textbooks and total market) for 2016 and 2017 with 2018 projections
- Changing balance of print and digital media
- Impact of open educational resources (OER) on publishers and distributors
- Powerful relevance of textbook rental programs and inclusive access on the shifting balance in distribution of course materials as publishers try to gain more control of the process
- Competitive analysis of four leading course materials providers
- Growth of publisher ecommerce channels