PreK-12 Professional Learning Market 2016
Attention: There is an updated edition available for this report.
PreK-12 Professional Learning Market 2016In the PreK-12 Professional Learning Market 2016 report, Simba Information examines the professional development segment in PreK-12 education, now often referred to as professional learning, for teachers, administrators, and other educators. The focus is on factors influencing change in the K-12 education market, challenges facing the PreK-12 professional learning sector, and the forces driving demand, both currently and in the coming years.
PreK-12 Professional Learning Market 2016 was developed through reporting by Simba editors and is not based on a survey. Providers of professional development for the PreK-12 education market and educators at schools, districts and states were interviewed and best-practices research was reviewed. Based on the research that included federal, state and local funding and spending data, Simba constructed current estimates of the $5.3 billion market and per-teacher spend, and market growth projections through 2020-2021.
Top trends in the ongoing process that is professional learning include personalization, professional learning communities and other mechanisms for collaboration, teacher-leadership, coaching and mentorship, and microcredentialing or badging. The increasing use of technology in the classroom such as digitized educational resources is generating its own demand for professional learning/training.
PreK-12 Professional Learning Market 2016 includes:
- How the K-12 education market is changing from a top-down process imposed on teachers to a more teacher-led, ongoing, job-embedded process;
- Federal, state and local spending on professional learning;
- Funding sources and individual teacher spend on PL;
- How the shift from NCLB to ESSA is driving the change in how professional learning is viewed and should be implemented;
- The role of online delivery;
- How publishers and ed-tech providers fit into the PD/PL landscape;
- The role of OER in professional learning;
- Where the biggest competition is coming from for commercial providers of professional learning;
- Case studies from NH, ID, FL, DC, Washoe County (NV) and a high school in Iowa;
Scope of the Report:
Simba Information's PreK-12 Professional Development Market 2016 report examines the transformation from professional development to professional learning that is affecting educators in PreK-12 education today. The discussion of market trends and estimates of the size of the market is based on Simba Information's ongoing research and from data collection and interviews with officials from state education departments, school districts, and schools.
Interviews were also conducted with executives from key PreK-12 professional development vendors, both commercial and nonprofit, and advocacy groups.