College Course Materials Trends and Outlook 2020-2022
College Course Materials Trends and Outlook 2020-2022 is now available and focuses on the trends that built up steam in 2019 that are likely to persist into the next several years. The report provides the outlook for the higher education publishing industry and sales segment projections through 2022.
The report aligns with State of College Course Materials 2018—2019, which became available in September 2019 and focuses on two main areas: the current market landscape and the competitive environment for publishers and distributors of instructional resources for college programs.
College Course Materials Trends and Outlook 2020-2022 provides both sizing and context to the market segments of new course materials—new print textbooks and digital media (including etextbooks)—as well as the used textbook segment. Among the trends Simba explores in College Course Materials Trends and Outlook 2020-2022 and anticipates will take hold over the next several years are:
- Contraction of the number of institutions of higher education
- Continued role of affordability as a driver in uptake of course materials
- Persistence of demand for some course materials in print
- Growing acceptance among faculty of OER
- Growth of short-term courses with credentials not degree credits
- Growing role for AI amid growing focus on successful student completion
- Shifting strategies for the development, sales and distribution of course materials
- A 3.2% compound annual decline in sales of new course materials through 2022 with growth in digital, especially etextbooks, and continued double-digit decline in print.
Search for an exact word or phrase by placing the word or phrase in quotation marks ("market trend"). Search for different versions or tenses of a word by placing an asterisk at the end of the word (pharma*).
Please note that your term must be at least three characters long and numbers will be blocked by the # sign.